Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Thursday, Sept 25, 2008- Victor Fleming


This one gave me a few fits.  Of course, the fact that I was doing it while I was chatting with an online friend didn't help, either.  Who knew that "draw" had so many definitions?  I did find this puzzle to be enjoyable and all the theme fills were respectable and different from each other.  GETS CARDS was the hardest for me to INFER but I did finally get it.  In fact, the whole NE was just a big mess for me and I stared at a whole lot of blank squares (except STEFAN and  SST) for some time.  Finally, OPTICAL [scanner] appeared and then the rest fell easily enough.  I did have to guess at the LEELA/ILENE cross but it did seem better than Leera.  Speaking of guesses, I also had to guess at SPURGE/GRETNA (kept wanting "spruce" instead) but again, GRETNA seemed to be the logical choice.

Other random comments:
TOGAE?
Nice to see Cheryl TIEGS in the puzzle.  Ditto for Christine LAHTI.
Nice clue for SNAKED- all I kept coming up with was "zigged" or "zagged".
I can just hear Gerard Butler yelling "SPARTA!" over and over in my mind.

Lots to be prompted on from this puzzle.  Let's start with "Isn't HE A bit like you and me?" from "Nowhere Man".  And who's the Nowhere Man?  McCain, with his flailings about that are going nowhere and making points with nobody.    He doesn't seem OPEN TO much of anything these days, other than low ways of slinging mud at his opponent.  He's become a real HEEL.  I have to say, he used to STAND for something but that's all in the past.  He's not showing POLISH or too many leadership qualities lately, SEE SAWing in his approach to the financial bailout.  Let's be HONEST here- is this the hothead you want running your country?  Man, I could just go on and on but I have to draw a line somewhere!

1 comment:

JannieB said...

Hey John - neat idea to blog and comment at the same time. I totally agree with your political slant. This McGidget ticket scare me to death. I live in a red red red area and feel like a stranger in a strange land. Have to travel through cyber space to find kindred spirits. Thanks for starting up a place for us to share our thought! Go Pioneers!!!!